My Website

My Website
Click here to access my website

My Music Video


Thursday 27 September 2018

Post 6: My Artist Profile

My artist is a female disc jockey and singer called Mini.

Mini has a unique style in the dance music industry by being a DJ who not only produces music but also sings on her own samples. This gives her a unique edge and a self sufficient musical style. Her latest track 'Bounce' will be the first from her upcoming debut album. Therefore a lot rides on the video in establishing her ethos, performance style and look.

After reading an article in the New York Times entitled 'women edging their way into the dj booth' I was shocked to find that I previously knew very little about the difficulties that female DJ's face in the dance industry. The reasons stated for this are "An industry predominantly run by men, a lack of female role models and mentors of either gender, and a grueling lifestyle that is disruptive to having a family." Therefore I am going to create an artist persona which fulfills an audience want for female role models that have brains and aren't over sexualised. I want to use my platform as an artist to convey messages about respecting feminity and creativity as something more than a money making scheme.

Mini's look is current and on trend. Blends a mix of 90's rave pieces with modern sports luxe. Below is a style moodboard I have created. In terms of colour palettes I will be using the current fashion trend and dance genre favourite of neon tops and trousers, platform trainers and space buns and high ponytails.

After researching female DJ's and artists I have found often the use of monomyns create memorable artist personas and star identity that is separate from the person beneath.

Mini has made her way up through small clubs in the heart of London, to now playing on the international dance festival circuit in Ibiza, Berlin and globally. She promotes an aspirational, city-centric lifestyle that will resonate with a media savvy audience. Mini is fiercely femenist in a post modern setting and this is a key value I want to communicate through cross media marketing, her activism and political involvement is a key feature I want to communicate.

I have created a logo (below) which is simple and will feature across all my media brands, incorporating itself into the titles of my video and appearing on my website and other audio-visual content. Many artists use this kind of iconography to visually reinforce their identities. I thought the idea of a pink heart connotes the subverted feminity and 'cute' image I want Mini to put out to fans.

Influences

I am taking particular inspiration from two female artists, Flava D and Charlie XCX as they are both popular female DJ's hailing from the UK, like my artist. They are respected in the industry for being trailblazers of unique styles of music and fashion

Flava D
She is a producer and DJ and has been from the age of 16. She is involved in grime, drum and bass and bassline music and is often touring the clubs and events of England and Europe. She is from Bournemouth and is well respected in the industry for bringing accessibility to female producers and female listeners. I admire the way her record label 'Butterz' have utilised cross media convergence, starting from a weekly show on Rinse FM radio to creating an entire label.
Charlie XCX
Charlotte Emma Aitchison (2 August 1992), also known as Charli XCX, began performing at underground raves and signed with Asylum Records in 2010. She's known for her dance/electropop and her influences included Britney Spears and the Spice Girls. Her brand has been built up through social media platforms like Instagram and Tumblr. She uses her platform to be an activist, regularly campaigning for women's and LGBT rights and a sophisticated modern day generation responds well to this.She directed a 2015 documentary on gender equality, The F Word and Me, for BBC three.

No comments:

Post a Comment