My Website

My Website
Click here to access my website

My Music Video


Thursday 11 January 2018

5. What I have learnt about the representation of events, issues, individuals and social groups in TV adverts and how I intend to demonstrate this knowledge and understanding in my production in order to communicate meaning successfully.

It's important that in my adverts I adhere to the points made in the brief about representation. I need to include at least two actors from at least two social groups. To ensure I do this, and represent wider societal issues in my work I have researched representation in areas particularly relevant to my adverts.

Media representations are how we portray groups, experiences, ideas or topics to an audience. Often, these representations don't reflect reality and 're-present' a new one.

Youth - a report by Shout Out UK cited  "Figures show that young people, mainly boys, have been described in national and regional papers as “yobs” (591 times), followed by “thugs” (254 times), “sick” (119 times) and “feral” (96 times). " The medias coverage of young people is largely negative.

It's clear that media portrayal of people affects how they and others feel about them. If they're expected to be lazy, anti-social and lacking in respect, they will eventually conform to this stereotype.

I want to portray the youth in my advert fairly and positively, not only because I disagree with the negative image they get in the media, but also because it's my target audience. By using happy, healthy actors smiling and accomplishing there goals in my adverts, I hope to inspire other youth to be aspirational and to challenge the stereotypes unfairly labelled on them.

A report by Demos in 2014 found 80% of young people believe this generation is more concerned with social issues than previous ones. This is also how I hope to generate a response in my adverts by challenging social issues like gender stereotypes and peer approval.

This Catherine Tate sketch clearly satirises through the character of Lauren, the way that the youth are portrayed by older generations, answering back, lacking respect and not caring about the education.


Women - women in media are often portrayed through the "male gaze", passive objects that men desire. Most media stereotypes of women are emotional or sexual and focus around relationships and having children. Recently, we have been more progressive and are beginning the new image of the 'strong women', she has children but also has a job and is just as sporty as her male counterparts.
Men are usually strong and sporty or seen working. However, there has been the emergence of the 'new man' in recent years, in touch with his feminine side and seen to be interested in fashion and relationships

This clip from friends shows Ross struggling to come to terms with the fact that his son has a barbie doll, before realising that breaking down gender norms are a societal construct which doesnt apply to children. It shows the way we try to force children to play with GI Joe toys or Barbie dolls according to their gender.


Levi Strauss  teaches the representation of dominant and subordinate groups. Dominant groups are typically - white, male, upper/middle class, middle aged, heterosexual. While Subordinate are  - black/other ethnic groups, female, working class, young/old, LGBTQ. In my adverts I want to get rid of these unfair representation and present my actors and characters as diverse in all these aspects, but still being portrayed as equal.

I found this video made by Dove, which asked women to choose whether to walk through a door that said "beautiful" or "average". The advert was great as it asked real women to consider the representation they give themselves, this is so largely affected by representation of beauty in the media that most assumed they would have to go through the average door, despite no one telling them to. I hope that in my advert I can make women and men feel beautiful and empowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment